Sunday, February 09, 2014
Saturday, January 04, 2014
Today I'll be spending some time with friends to do what was missed last year... I want to take more time to blog the year more as I go; after all writing and pictures are two of my favorite things!
Wednesday, October 09, 2013
Sunday, July 14, 2013
- Obsession with my face. Over the past six months I discovered that my skin has either changed or has been changing, in a not so flattering way. Breakouts, wrinkles, dryness, dullness... and this has resulted in a massive pursuit of every kind of thing you could imagine - a steamer, colloidial silver mask, vitamin D oil, alpha-beta peels, Ferulic and Retinol eye serum, skin primer, Mega Mushroom face cream, and more. The result is more creamy, smooth, bright skin! Happy Helen.
- Success in work. All the ways that I'm spending my time working are so well lined up. I'm ridiculously well cut out for my day job (full-time Sales Recruiter), feeling empowered as the Board President of my HOA (277 units, $1M annual income), running my women's circle and working through my Masters in Counseling at Regis. In all four of these areas of work, I'm using my strengths and everything is coming naturally for me. Indeed, no one loves being the Boss more than I do.
- And yet. I'm fussy. Irritable. Feel like something is off. I've felt this way since just after my 40th birthday, which was the most amazing, uplifting experience! I absolutely cannot put my finger on it. I'm NOT unhappy. I'm NOT in a bad relationship or dissatisfying job. I have financial abundance. Around the time I started feeling this way, someone pointed out "that's why they call it a mid-life crisis." Oh. Shit.
- Self-care. My life seems out of balance to me, and I'm not taking care of myself. I'm watching TV at weird hours, eating foods that don't make me feel well, working too much (see bullet #2!), going to bed too late, feeling groggy and gross in the morning, doing wimpy 20 minute in-an-out gym workouts, never having (making) time to meditate - or falling asleep as soon as I start, rushed journaling for just a few minutes (instead of the 30 I've done for 10+ years). This has been going on for a long time, and while I notice the need for a shift, I'm too freaking tired, unmotivated or actually just don't know what I need.
- This is a really strange time in my life. I don't like myself right now, and ooh that's hard to write. At least I'm not shaming myself about anything. It's just... I'm off. And I can't find the on. It will pass and I will have a breakthrough and be back to my shiny, empowered self. But for now (as Shaya pointed out recently), "I'm so annoyed" is the start of about every other sentence. And I find that SO annoying!
Otherwise, life continues to be amazing, as you can see:
Sunday, April 14, 2013
Wednesday, March 27, 2013
In other exciting news... I bought my tickets to Peru for this awesomeness: http://journeytopachamama.com/
Patricia continues to stun me with her out of this world creativity for her wedding. Her / our goal is to get her wedding published in a magazine. Yep. It's gonna be that good. I just have to keep it all on task because she is so disorganized - just kidding. She has a 50+ page power point!
School. Oh right I'm in grad school! I took this whole semester off because the idea of working such crazy hours (I'm trying to keep the economy growing here, people) was impossible to bear. I just could not do it. I finally decided to give up volunteering with the precious horses. I'd something that brings me such joy but having to finish my work day at 4 to get out there required that I would have to work until 9 when I got back. It's been a really really rough five months for sure. I've never worked so hard in my life. While I'm so grateful that I've been given this opportunity for a shot at a new speciality, I'm completely burned out. The good news is that I have gotten double the experience because of the volume. It's all good in the end.
Well, Cheerios (the iPad hasn't learned "cheerio" yet)!
Sunday, February 24, 2013
I always love getting to see my niece and nephew, and I got to spend the night at their new house and take a ride in my niece's new Lexis! I'm so proud of her, she is a very good kid, and look how big my nephew Brandon is!.
Subhadra drove down Friday and found me working on the lawn, so of course we had an impromptu on-the-grass makeover session. We determined that we are getting far too many wrinkles and the top left picture is how we would look with a face lift (which on my life I will NEVER get).
And because I just spent hours going through and editing excessive photo collection, there's not much else I can say. Storybook says it al.
Saturday, February 09, 2013
I'm out here in Orange, southern California, visiting my newborn nephew Skyler. Woke up to the sheer pierce of a migraine and reflecting on my recent paper about stress. I haven't written much yet about my new job but it's really nearly unbearable the amount of work I'm expected to do. We are supposedly in a hiring "push" but I worry this is the status quo. It's been years since I've had a job where there is no hope of completing my work at the end of the day or week, and no amount of structure or good habits would change that. But one thing is for sure, my health is taking a beating. I hate that it takes a migraine coming on to make me stop and rebalalance. It's not like the migraine is a surprise, as all the little pieces have been showing themselves along the way; a chain reaction like a freight train. More on all this later. Calgon please take me away!